Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And When the Day Comes it Will Have All Been Fun...

The XX at the Empire Shepherd Bush
What a great weekend this has been. Saw two artists that I absolutely adore live; Perfume Genius on Thursday and The XX on Monday, in between basked in the sunshine in the Kent countryside. If you don't know Perfume Genius then you should, he has a beautiful soft voice and sings amazingly written haunting songs. But I'm afraid you can't. I liked him first and he is already becoming far too popular - I missed out in his London gig this winter because too many people share my view on him. Yes, I am one of those people who listens to independent music and gets upset when it achieves greater success. I know it's selfish but I don't want to loose the privilege of intimate gigs and cheap seats (his gig was at The Union Chapel in Islington). No one will care when I say "I liked them first". The XX on the other hand need no introduction. Despite a sound that is very different to the majority of chart music they have become extremely popular, particularly since winning a Mercury Award for their album 'XX'. I was be lucky to get tickets for their gig for their new album 'Coexist' at The Empire Shepherds Bush since it sold out in minutes. In fact, after refreshing the page incessantly for about an hour before tickets were released I missed out on getting standing tickets in the time it took to enter my credit card details!
Perfume Genius at Union Chapel London
Perfume Genius at the Union Chapel


The XX at the Empire Shepherd Bush
The Empire Shepherds Bush is a beautiful victorian theatre that has been repurposed as a music venue
The XX at the Empire Shepherd Bush, 2:54
The support for The XX was 2:54, the music was enjoyable if samey and definately needed the sound ballance on th einstruments looking at!
Perfume Genius at Union Chapel London  Perfume Genius at the Union Chapel


Oliver Sim of the XX

The XX (54)
The XX (63)

The XX (19)
JUMPER M&S - VEST H&M - JEANS AND BOOTS Reiss - BELT Vintage
Although the weekend was baking hot it is starting to feel autumnal again and the evenings are quite chilly so for the gig on Monday I went with a laid back jeans and sweater combo. I'm so sad to be leaving light, bright summer dressing behind, particularly as I have finally managed to get a great tan! I love the pop of neon green in this otherwise somber outfit and the chunky oversized nature of this jumper (I still can't believe I found it in M&S). These photos were snapped in the stairwell of my flat after getting home from the concert so please forgive the poor quality.
The XX (8)

The XX (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment